Code Enforcement

The code enforcement officer is unavailable.

Code Enforcement Hours

Please call 207-353-2561, ext. 10 or email


From the Code Office:

To help those of you who would like to get an idea of when you will need a permit.

The Ordinances of Durham does not require a permit for

  •  One story detached Accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
  • Fences not over six feet high
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
  • Sidewalks and driveways
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment
  • Decks that do not exceed 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point within 36 inches of the deck, are not attached to the dwelling and do not serve as the exit door to the structure as defined in Section R311.4 of the IRC

All other construction not defined above will need to have a permit.

The replacement of plumbing fixtures and faucets does not need a permit but if the water shutoffs or any drain portion past the trap line needs work it will require a permit

All electrical work needs a permit

All work related to the septic system other than periodic pumping of the tank or cleaning of the tank filters will need a permit.


Conditional Use Application (for an application contact Codes Officer)

Driveway Permit Application

Indoor Plumbing Permit Application

Subsurface Wastewater Application (HHE 200)

Building Permit Application

Electrical Permit Application

Back Lot Permit Application

Temporary Permit Application

Application for Variance or Appeal